2022 PitchFork Finalists:
2022 PitchFork Judges:
PitchFork 2022 is over, what now?
Check out our free PitchFork Program Guide and register for the information session in December to learn more about how you can replicate the PitchFork platform in your own rural community.
What is The PitchFork Challenge?
A national rural pitch competition comprised of the following:
- 1 pitch clinic with Hannah Grimes Staff
- 4 one on one pitch practices with the Program Director
- 2 rounds of friendly pitch competition leading up to
- 1 final pitch at the Radically Rural summit where you could win $10,000
*The PitchFork Challenge runs from August to September*
What will I win?
- National print and digital media coverage
- Valuable pitching and business skills
- Networking opportunities with potential funders, customers, and peers
- The support of your cohort and Program Director
- A free virtual or in-person ticket to Radically Rural 2022
Jack’s Crackers – 2021 PitchFork Challenge winner. Used the $10 000 prize money towards a purchase of a new commercial oven to make More CRACKERS!
Frisky Cow Gelato – 2020 PitchFork Challenge winner. Used the $10 000 prize money towards a purchase of a new milk pasteurizer. And we all see Frisky Cow Gelato everywhere!
“The PitchFork process got me to rely on some of my business coaches and other people that have been supporting me along the way to really start to flush out that scale up plan.” – Linda Rubin
TotumVos Collagen Chews – 2019 PitchFork Challenge winner. Used the $10 000 prize money towards patenting the recipe for the chews.
The PitchFork Challenge is open to any resident and business that meets the following requirements:
- Business must be located in a town with a population of 30,000 or less
- Business must be for-profit and is currently earning revenue
- May not have won the PitchFork Challenge Rural Small Business Track in previous years
- May not have raised more than $250,000 in funding
- May not have earned more than $250,000 in past year revenue
What is required in my application?
- Company Logo
- Company Tax Filing 2021
- Profit & Loss Statement
- Current Balance Sheet
- Cash Flow Projections for 2022
- Business Plan
*If you are not able to answer or supply the required documents for the application, please let us know (firstname.lastname@example.org) as we can help develop the materials with you*APPLY HERE
Interested, but don’t have time to fill out the application now?
Fill out our quick interest form and we will reach out to you.INTEREST FORM
- If a NH resident, complete a business form for three years after the award is received
- Document the first year with photos of the use of the award and the impact of the award if applicable
- Be available for social media, blog, website marketing, and promotion
What do the different rounds of pitching look like?
Round 1: Submit a video of your best 6 minunte pitch for the judges to review by August 16th.
- Up to two people may be eliminated
- Semi-finalists will be notified of their status before the semi-finals live PitchFork Challenge Event
Round 2: Required Semi-Finals event on Thursday, September 8, 2022, 5:00 PM – 7:00 PM – semi-finalists will prepare and present their 6-minute pitch to the judges and audience virtually.
- Up to two people may be eliminated
- Semi-finalists will receive feedback from the judges
Round 3: Required: The PitchFork Challenge final event on Thursday, September 22, 2022, 10:00 AM – 11:30 AM during the Radically Rural Summit.
- Live pitch to the judging panel and live audience
- This event will be hybrid – Finalists may choose to pitch in person or virtually
How will I be judged?
You will be judged on the following criteria:
- Community benefit
- Pitch – pitch performance
Important Dates For PitchFork Challenge Presenters:
*All required dates will be hybrid, presentations may be in-person or virtual*
**All dates and times are in EST**
- Monday, July 25th: The application is due by the end of the business day. APPLICATION LINK
- Wednesday, July 27th, 4pm – 5:30pm: Pitch Clinic with Hannah Grimes Staff – recording will be posted on the website afterwards for those who can not attend
- Monday, August 8th, 10:00 AM – 6:00 PM: Schedule a 1:1 with Program Director for pitch practice – if these times do not work for you, Program Director will work with your schedule
- *REQUIRED* Wednesday, August 17th, 5:00 PM: Round 1: Submit a video of your best 6 minute pitch for the judges to review. *This is an elimination round*
- Monday, August 22nd & Wednesday, August 24th, 10:00 AM – 6:00 PM: Schedule a 1:1 with Program Director for pitch practice – if these times do not work for you, Program Director will work with your schedule
- Monday, August 29th & Wednesday, August 31st, 10:00 AM – 6:00 PM: Schedule 1:1 pitch practice with Program Director – if these times do not work for you, Program Director will work with your schedule
- *REQUIRED* Thursday, September 8th, 5:00 PM – 7:00 PM: Round 2: PitchFork Challenge semi-final event (Virtual-Livestreamed). *This is an elimination round*
- Monday, September 12th, 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM: Schedule a final pitch practice with Program Director – if these times do not work for you, Program Director will work with your schedule
- Wednesday, September 21st, 5:30 PM – 8:30 PM: Finalists are encouraged to attend the CONNECT event in person
- *REQUIRED* Thursday, September 22nd, 10:00 am – 11:30 am: The PitchFork Challenge, the final LIVE event will be held during the Radically Rural Summit (all PFC participants recieve free virtual or in-person tickets to the summit)
- *REQUIRED* Thursday, September 22nd, 4:00 PM: Announcement Ceremony of the winners will be during the Livability Slam event at the Radically Rural Summit
The PitchFork Challenge provides money and momentum for rural entrepreneurs in the form of a friendly business pitch competition. Rural entrepreneurs are coached to create a compelling pitch describing their business opportunity in pursuit of a cash award. Ultimately, one business owner is chosen to receive a $10,000 cash prize every year. For the inaugural Radically Rural Summit in 2018, the success of the Hannah Grimes PitchFork Program was leveraged into the PitchFork Challenge, which provided local entrepreneurs in eligible counties with the opportunity to meet like-minded entrepreneurs, develop relationships with investors, and build up the skill of talking about their business in a clear and succinct way. In 2022, PitchFork Challenge is going national. Rural entrepreneurs from across the country are welcom and encouragaed to apply as PitchFork will be a stand-alone session at Radically Rural 2022, drawing a larger audience than in previous years.
Watch the PitchFork Challenge INFO Session with Program Director, Sara Powell